Emily Perl Kingsley and her Prize

April 10, 2008 Kyron 25 Comments

Many of you have read Welcome to Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley. It’s a poem that was shared with me very early on in my journey as the parent of Katherine. I felt likeemily jason Emily Perl Kingsley and her Prize it gave me the ability to say “exactly“! Someone actually understood!!That is why I thought this piece was so much fun – it was sent to me by Johanna. It is on a site about vanity license plates – Ms. Kingsley’s is raflpriz. I think it was a great little article about her car, vanity license plate, and her wonderful son. Please check it out by clicking here.

No related posts.

Categories : Articles, General

Currently there are "25 comments" on this Article:

1. Donna M. Burns, Ph.D. says:

Good day,
    I am trying to contact Emily Perl Kingsley to get permission to publish her wonderful essay, Welcome to Holland in my upcoming book. Is it possible for you to provide me with contact information?
    Donna Burns

2. Lois S. Orndorf says:

I too am trying to contact Emily Kingsley. “Welcome to Holland” is an essay that I would like to provide to a nursing class to help nursing students understand the value and potential of children with disabilities, as well as helping them understand the loss parents may initially feel.
    Lois Orndorf

3. Mary Ford says:

I am trying to find an email address for Emily Perl Kingsley to get permission to publish her poem, Welcome to Holland in my upcoming book. Is it possible for you to provide me with contact information?

4. Kyron says:

I don’t honestly have a good contact for her the best way might be to reach out via sesame workshop where she continues to write shows.

5. Mallory Gallant says:

I am a playwright interested in writing a play based on “Welcome to Holland”. Is there contact information available for the author?

6. Lynn Atkin says:

Hello, I have a Down’s Syndrome Godson myself, and am trying to buy either a dvd or video of “Kids Like These”. I have repeatedly looked on the internet, for a number of months now, without any luck. Please can you help me?

I live in Northumberland, in the UK. I have contacted the Down’s Syndrome Association of Great Britain, and they cannot help me either.

I sincerely would appreciate your help.

Lynn.

7. admin says:

Lynn,

I’m still looking for it but as of this writing I haven’t been able to find it in any of my usual sources. There are a few clips available on youtube. I’ll keep looking!

~Kyron

8. Geri says:

Good day,
    I am trying to contact Emily Perl Kingsley to get permission to publish her wonderful essay, Welcome to Holland in an Early Intervention course at the University of Colorado Denver.
    Is it possible for you to provide me with contact information?
    Geri
    Geraldine I. DiPalma
    CO-TOP*EIS Project coordinator
    The PAR2A Center / SEHD
    University of Colorado Denver
    1380 Lawrence St., SUite #714
    Denver, CO 80204

Wk# 303-315-6366
    Cell# 303-919-9480
    Email: geraldine.dipalma@ucdenver.edu

9. Richard Courtney says:

I need to contact Emily Perl Kingsley for authority to publish Welcome to Holland in a newsletter for the Special Needs Law section of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. Can you help with this info? Thanks.

10. cindy gore says:

I am trying to contact Emily to get permission to publish her poem in a book I am writing with stories from the mom of an autistic child. Please provide me with a way to contact her. thanks.

11. Janet MacManus says:

I too am trying to contact Emily as we are hoping to produce a book of short stories written by families in our community who have special son’s, daughter’s, brother’s, sister’s or friends that were born with Down’s Syndrome or other intellectual disabilities. It is nearly sixty years ago that a group of parents in our community got together and formed a group (IHC) that met regularly to support each other and lobby for education needs of their children. Prior to this it was expected that if you had a child with special needs that child would be sent away and institutionalised. I have carried around, in my handag, the the “Welcome to Holland” story for several years and often shared it with a mother who has just found out that her child is “special”. I would like to include “Welcome to Holland” in our book, which we hope to have completed later this year in time to launch at our 60th celebrations.

Janet MacManus
    Invercargill, New Zealand.
    wemacs@woosh.co.nz

12. Kendra Husband says:

I, too am looking for information to reach Emily Perl Kingsly. I am a songwriter and have set the poem to music. It’s a very inspirational song that we would like to use at the National Galactosemia Convention this summer. I really need permission from the author first. Contact me if any of you are interested in the song as well.

Kendra Husband
    k5husband@carolina.rr.com

13. valerie v. santillan says:

I too am trying to find an email address for Emily Perl Kingsley to get permission to publish her poem, Welcome to Holland in my upcoming book. Is it possible for you to provide me with contact information?

14. valerie v. santillan says:

Good day! I would like to find out how I can contact Ms. Emily Perl Kingsley,Im writing my autobiography and I have a special child, with autism.Id like to get her permission to include her poem in my upcomming book.Can you please help me contact her? Thanks.

15. Deborah Norsworthy says:

Hello, I am trying to get in touch with Emily Perl Kingsley to get permission from her to include her wonderful poem, Welcome To Holland in my book. My book is an inspirational true story of how our family grew from nine biological children to ten. Our ninth child being born with Down Syndrome led to adopt our first child from Ukraine, who is our second child with Down Syndrome. My book just wouldn’t be the same without her poem that I believe needs to touch many more hearts like ours.
    With kind regards,
    Debbie

complete my book which started as a result of growing our family of nine to ten after adopting our little girl from Ukraine with DS. The journey to write my book would give me great pleasure to include Emily Perl Kingsley”s, Welcome to Holland, which a nurse gave me after our ninth bioliogical child was born with DS before we left the hospital.

16. R says:

Along with everyone else, I’m also trying to get permission to include “Welcome to Holland” in social/recreational/support resource binders I put together for children and families with developmental disabilities. Can you please help me?

17. Count me among the ranks of those trying to contact the wonderful Emily Perl Kingsley. I’d like to get permission to include a copy of “Welcome to Holland” in care packages I’m sending to babies and their families who have a rare genetic bone disorder called Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Someone sent me the article when my daughter was diagnosed and it was a huge encouragement. Thank you.

18. Qing Gong says:

I am also trying to contact Emily Perl Kingsley to get permission to include a copy of “Welcome to Holland” in my upcoming book about my daughter who was born with Apert Syndrome. The book is in Chinese and will be published in Hong Kong.

19. Kyron says:

I found this address for those of you who are looking for an address to write to Ms. Kingsley.

12 Justine Ct

Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510-2534

Not sure if it’s still valid but hope it assists you all.

20. Bonnie Bilyeu says:

Emily,
    I am a mom of 2 children with disablilities. Jonathan is now 27 and Chelsea is 25…
    I need you to know how significant “Welcome to Holland” has been in my life. Until now, i really haven’t had time to find you and say Thank you.

I really want to know more about you and Holland.
    I am starting my book to support those who are finding out about Holland.
    i would like permission to print Welcome to Holland in my book.
    Bonnie Bilyeu

21. Kyron says:

Bonnie,

This is not Ms. Kingsley’s website. However I’ve posted her contact information in the past and will again for you.

12 Justine Ct
    Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510-2534

My daughter is about to turn 20. This trip into Holland continually twists and turns. Just as I think I’ve learned it all, I realize it’s only just beginning. Thanks for joining in the discussion.

22. Kay says:

Thank you Kyron I want to include Welcome To Holland in my book Being Fran’s Mum – Finding the Upside of Down. Your kindness has just brought the book one step closer to completion. Best wishes Kay

23. carol says:

I was wondering if you have a contact email or number for Emily Perl Kingsley. As I was hoping to use her poem “Welcome to Holland” in a non profit university project about children with disabilities I am doing and wanted to ask her permission to use it.

Please can you pass my details on to her or forward me her details.

cburgess_uk@yahoo.com

Kind regards

Carol Burgess

24. Jane says:

Hi, I am wanting to find contact details for Emily Perl Kingsley. I want to obtain her permission to use her poem “Welcome to Holland” in a book I am writing about my 7 year old son who has autism. I read this poem very early on when our son was first diognosed with Autism and the comfort it gave me was tremendous.

I would really appreciate the contact details so I can include it and hope it gives others the same support it gave me/us.
    Kind regards Jane

25. I would like to ask Emily if we could use the beautifull poem “Welcome to Holland” as an intro to our information video about Pitt Hopkins syndrome.

Is their an emailadress available where I can contact Emily personally

Thanks