Glasses for Children with Down Syndrome

June 20, 2008 Kyron 11 Comments

I came across this on one of my listserv’s and thought it was useful information for some of you.SpecsBanner Glasses for Children with Down Syndrome

Hello, my name is Maria Dellapina and I am writing to inform you about an opportunity to enhance the lives of the children we spend our lives advocating for.

I am a mother of an nine-year-old daughter with Down Syndrome and have
struggled through out her life to fit her properly in eyewear. Being an
optician for over 25 years, I was constantly searching for frames that fit
her unique needs. After realizing early on that I was fighting a losing
battle, I took it upon myself and my experience as an optician, to design
and create a special line of frames that dramatically enhances her abilities
to function in eyeglasses.

I am proud to say that recently I was able to partner with a manufacturer
who has developed my design into a workable frame for children with DS and
other special needs. SPECS4US Inc., Superior Precision Eyewear for Children
who are Special, is my vision to bring specially formated frames to enhance
the life of not only my daughter, but the lives of all the special children
struggling with this problem every day.

I have fitted a dozens of children in the frames, and have seen tremendous
improvement in the lives of all of them. Parents are e-mailing and calling
me to express their gratitude for enhancing the quality of their children’s
vision and ultimately their day-to-day lives.

As I am only one mother attempting to advocate for such a large community, I
would appreciate your help in spreading the word to those I might not be
able to reach. If your organization produces a newsletter or maintains a
website, I would like to ask your support in publishing the following
information below to reach your community.

If you would like to speak with me directly, have any further questions or
would like a sample article ready for print, please feel free to call me at
1-800-586-1885 or email me at info@specs4us.com. Please check out my webpage
www.specs4us.com, to learn more about my cause. Thank you in advance for
your time and support.

Sincerely,

Maria Dellapina

Founder SPECS4US Inc.

Related posts:

1. Alaska’s Governor has 5th child, a son with down syndrome
  2. World Down Syndrome Day

Currently there are "11 comments" on this Article:

1. Jamie says:

Do you have any tips to getting kids to wear glasses? My Devin will be 3 this August and has glasses for 4 months now. He won’t wear them longer than 3 or 4 minutes at a time. Please help!

2. Kyron says:

Jamie,

Acutally that’s not a problem we’ve encountered. My daughter is disappointed on a regular basis that she doesn’t need glasses although both her father and I and all her grandparents wear them.

I have however seen a great article on Kids Growth located here:

Not only does it have some good, reasonable ideas about getting the glasses to be worn, it has a number of suggested reading titles in a variety of age ranges.

I also found a really interesting blog called little four eyes….located here:

They seem to have some GREAT pictures of other kids – maybe seeing your child is not the only one could help? They also have multiple resources listed.

Hope you find this helpful!
    ~Kyron

3. Megan Inge says:

Hello Jamie,

has Devon got any better with his glasses?
    I think I have a solution. InconSPECuous eyeglasses retainer:

An inconspicuous strap that joins in the middle by a small but strong magnetic clasp. You can buy it online for about $10.

All the best,
    Megan Inge

4. Maria says:

most children fit in the standard frames have problems with fit and comfort causing them to take them off , even hide them. if the child is fit with a better fitting light weight pair of glasses you will have better success with wearing time.

5. Christine says:

Hi – my son has been wearing glasses since he was 15 months. The best advise is to have an activity that your child loves ready to go & only play it when he wears the glasses. Pretty soon he’s figure out he can see better with them on and the fight will be over.

6. gloria rodriguez says:

i have a special needs child that requires a minumum of 24 mmm bridge size

7. Carolyn says:

My son is 28 and has worn glasses since he was 2. We found that gettting the glasses with a stem that has a bendable ear piece kept the glasses in place and he found that he could see his favorite show (Sesame Street) better.

8. Anthy Demetriou says:

Am a mother of almost 5 year old boy with DS from Cyprus in the Greek islands.Id like to place an order for glasses for my son.But i need information of what procedures will follow.What measurements you will need so as to be sure that the order i will place will be correct?

9. Kyron says:

I wanted to follow up on this and let you know that I only posted this on The Special Parent. I don’t actually do the eyeglasses personally or have any affiliation with this company. The contact information was posted within the article and to make sure anyone can gather it quickly let me put it here

website: http://specs4us.com
    email: info@specs4us.com
    phone: 1-800-586-1885

I wish you all the best of luck in getting your son fitted for eyeglasses. Thanks for visiting us from Cyprus :)

10. Joanne Miele says:

I have a daughter with down syndrome. she is twelve years old. She had to wear glasses when she was 9 months old. she gets up set now because the glasses she is wear don’t stay up on her nose and she gets really mad because we have to go to the eye doctor alot to have them adjusted. I would like to try the new glasses because it is important that she is happy wearing her glasses. What do I need to do?

11. Hello I am an optician that has just taken stock of theses great frames. I am based in London. Please call if you need any advice on fitting down syndrome spectacles 02083644444: