God Bless Lora

May 2, 2011 Kyron 13 Comments

There’s rarely an opportunity that I’m at a loss for words. Today seems to be one of them. I received word late last night….while most everyone was reveling in the news that Osama Bin Laden had been found and killed, that a woman who had had such amazing respect and admiration for had passed away. The news literally took my breath away. Lora Sue Lastinger Langley, beloved wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend, passed peacefully from her earthly being on Sunday, May 1, 2011. I keep reading that sentence and finding it hard to believe it’s real.

Lora gone? How could that possibly be? Lora had more fight in her than about 100 of me (and that’s saying something). Lora and I met while I lived in Henry County, GA. While I was battling my own disabling RSD, Lora came into my life like – something like a small, smiling tornado icon smile God Bless Lora How could it be that Lora, that whirlwind of energy and love, had left this planet and the earth didn’t immediately knock me to the ground?

Lora had a tireless ability to advocate for our kids. She had strongly held beliefs about inclusion, about fairness and equality, about what amazing contributions our kids make to the greater world. She could be aggressive, and some might have even said abrasive in her approach. I admired that. That not withstanding, she had amazing southern charm and used it to charm people into doing a whole lot of things I told her she’d never accomplish. I LOVED that!

The world of the special needs community in Henry County, Georgia and the greater Atlanta area, is just a little bit poorer for the loss of Lora today. If I take any comfort it’s that it has so many amazing people there working for our kids, and our kids who become adults. God Bless and God Speed Lora.  We will all try to carry on and carry forward your work, and in any small way we can, your spirit and determination. Our love and prayers are with Colby and your whole family.

No related posts.

Categories : Advocacy, Inspiration

Currently there are "13 comments" on this Article:

1. Alice Jordon says:

I was privileged to teach Colby for three months several years ago. Lora and I worked shoulder to shoulder to balance his meds. She became my friend. I will miss her terribly. Could you please post funeral arrangements?

2. Kyron says:

Alice, as I get more information I will gladly post it here.

3. Kyron says:

A memorial is planned for 10 a.m. Sunday May 8th (this is a change from the original posted earlier) at Charlie Elliot Wildlife Center in Mansfield.

Charlie Elliot Wildlife Center
    543 Elliott Trail
    Mansfield, GA 30055-2302

A trust is being set up to benefit Colby in lieu of flowers. As I receive more information on that I’ll post it as well.

4. Debbie Dobbs says:

The funeral has been changed to Sunday at the same time and location. I will miss my friend dearly!

5. Kyron says:

Thanks Debbie for letting me know

6. Ms. B. says:

I am very shocked to here this news! I am so sorry! I had just seen Colby and Lora during Special Olympics. I had the pleasure and opportunity to meet Lora several years ago as I worked with Colby. She was always appreciative for the stern love and support that I provided for him. She was truely a advocate for Colby and other children like him. I admired her ambition to never settle for the impossible but the possible…she never give up! I will never forget my sign language symbol that says, “I Luv u” that hangs on my bedroom door that reminds me of the special relationship I shared with them. My prayers and thoughts goes out to you the family and Colby.

Peace Be with You,
    The Bothwell’s

7. Alice Jordon says:

Thanks for the information. I will be with you all in spirit as we promised my Mother-in-law we’d spend the day with her. To what address should we send contributions for Colby. I just love that little boy!

8. Kyron says:

The following information is the most updated information regarding memorial service and Trust for Colby. Friends are also assembling a book and information regarding that you will find below as well:

Memorial service for Lora Langley will be held on Sunday, May 8, at 10 a.m.

Location for the service:
    Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center
    543 Elliott Trail
    Mansfield, GA 30055-2302
    (770) 784-3059

In lieu of flowers, checks for the trust for Colby, her beloved son, should be made payable to:
    William Colby Langley Supplemental Needs Trust

and can be mailed

c/o The Law Offices of Mark Biernath, PC
    3617 Shallowford Road
    Atlanta, GA 30340

We would like to make a memorial commemorative book for the family and are gathering information. Please consider sending a story about or pictures of Lora to Tiffany Moody at TLMoody27@gmail.com

Lora touched many lives and we would like her family to know how she was loved and that she will be sorely missed. Stories can be any anecdote you’d like to share: How Lora’s advocacy touched your life, how Lora helped you through some difficult time, what impact did Lora have on you or the community, what the things about Lora you’ll miss most, what things about her made you smile (laugh)….you get the idea. What is your memory of Lora? This can be two sentences or two pages. We’re real flexible and open-ended. Please take a few minutes before Friday, May 6, to send your story or picture to Tiffany.

Please feel free to forward the information contained in this email.

9. Katrina Watson Washington says:

I am saddened to hear of Lora’s passing and would like to offer my condolences to her family. I met Lora through my short association with Henry County Navigators and also attended signing classes with her and Colby at AASD. All I can say is I would raise both of my hands if someone asked, “ did Lora’s touch or words make a difference…”, Yes they did, yes she did!

10. Michele Ramsey says:

I had the pleasure of working with Lora through the Henry Co. Navigator Team and she was an inspiration to us all. She could make me laugh when I wanted to cry and had the ability to motivate me to do what I needed to do to advocate for my son. Lora connected with people and really cared about helping others. She will be sorely missed. I hope Colby will always know how much his mother loved him and all she did to help kids with special needs and other parents. She was a wonderful human being and friend.

11. Cynthia says:

I wanted to let you all know that I printed these sweet words for Lora’s family……
    Thank you!

12. Lisa Lastinger says:

I just wanted you ALL to know how very touched Tim, Lora’s sons and I were when your tributes were brought to our attention. It’s wonderful to see and hear examples of the impact Lora made on so very many people. Thank you for sharing!

13. Selena Brand says:

I learned of Lora’s death not long ago from my sons therapist .
    After inquiring about Lora and Colby. I hadn’t seen them at therapy, since we had changed our day and time for therapy.
    Lora advocated intensly for my oldest son Dakota’s education and computer while he attended GC Public School.
    Which the school implemented after much hesitation and meetings .
    I think of her often. My youngest son passed away May 10,2009. If it’s possible after death that their spirits could/can meet . That would be awesome.
    May the Lord bless her entire family , especially Colby.